Taos Ski Valley, about 90 miles north of Santa Fe, is flat out amazing. It's not a very big place, like a Vail or a Snowmass, or even a Killington, but is a great unknown resort nonetheless.
I got into Taos on Monday after driving from Dallas and staying in Albuquerque the night before. I decided that it would be a good idea to try and take a ski lesson at some point, so I signed up for the two-day Yellowbird program. Basically, this offers a two day lesson with rentals and lift tix for about $150.
I show up to the morning session fairly confident, I feel like after snowboarding you at least know how the snow is going to react to an edge. It worked out pretty well - more ridiculous is the fact that after my second lesson, my instructor hooked me up with a $15 lift ticket for Thursday! Pretty awesome, so I spent that say snowboarding the blues and blacks.
They had some pretty ridiculous ridge hikes I could have made, but it was really cold, really windy, and I just didn't feel like slamming my head on some boulders. I'll leave the Warren Miller-esqu skiing to the professionals until I have someone else with me to claim the body when I do something stupid. Onto to VAIL
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Taos
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment